Sunday, November 16, 2014

Learning to Maintain Hair Health After Years of Unhealthy Habits

Many of us take for granted the hair we have on our heads. I, for one, often do not think about my hair at all. But as I age and grow older, I realize that signs of aging can show in my hair just like they can on the other parts of my body.When I was younger, I would always eat big juicy cheeseburgers. This may seem innocent or not like a big deal, and for a while it wasn't, but they added up quickly. When we think fattening foods such as cheeseburgers, we tend to think belly fat, thigh fat, and other obvious areas such as that. But, believe it or not, the first sign I saw of unhealthy eating was in my hair!At first I didn't believe this was the case because it's so counter-intuitive. But after a number of consultations with doctors and health practitioners, I realized that my poor hair health indeed stemmed from my constant consumption of burgers (and other similar fatty foods). I run a lot so I was able to keep off the pounds around my belly, but I was not able to prevent the signs of poor health habits in my hair. Not only did I get dandruff (which I never had before in my life), but also my hair was consistently flat and dry, even after showering.This may not come as a shock to those knowledgeable about hair health, but it was definitely a big surprise to me. I never would have imagined something like this happening in my wildest nightmares, yet it was very real and it was happening.


Another mistake often made in regards to hair health involves one of my close friends, a woman with long blonde hair. She never used the right kind of shampoo, often going out of her way for many years to buy the cheapest shampoo she could find in a given store. She got what she paid for and I can tell you, it was not much. She picked the wrong products and as a result lost a lot of the color in her hair.A final tip I have for you is to ask for help when you need it. I used to be the kind of person who didn't want to ask for help and I was proud of this. But then I realized not asking for help is a weakness, not a strength. Don't sit around waiting while things get worse. Take action, reach out for professional treatment, and improve your hair and health while there is still time.While the damage to my hair is not irreparable, I certainly could have made things on myself a lot easier had I made healthier choices while taking a few simple preventative steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment